Are You Eating According to your Dosha?
Find The Right Foods For You
I have always been a huge fan of Ayurvedic medicine. Ayurvedic medicine is an ancient Indian healing medicine that has been around for over 5,000 years. According to Ayurveda , every individual has a primary psychophysical type called a dosha. The three doshas are: Vata, Pitta and Kapha
Eating according to your dosha can help prevent disease and optimize health and energy. According to Dr. Deepak Chopra, Ayurvedic doctor and author of The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, imbalances in the doshas are the first sign that the mind and body are not perfectly coordinated. Once people identify and understand their dosha, they can take the necessary steps, through diet, lifestyle and environment, to restore dosha balance and prevent disease (please note, it is not uncommon for people to share the characteristics of two or more doshas, however, there typically is a dominant one).
To find your primary dosha and the right food for your body, take the following quiz.
Please choose the statement that best describes you:
A. My skin is always dry
B. My skin is normal/sensitive
C. My skin is oily
A. I am always cold
B. I often feel too hot
C. My body temperature is normal
A. My body weight is on the low side
B. I have a medium to muscular build
C. I gain weight easily
A. I am a very light sleeper
B. I am a moderate sleeper
C. I am a very deep sleeper
A. My mind is active, restless and curious
B. My mind is intelligent and aggressive
C. My mind is calm, slow and receptive
A. My beliefs tend to be radical and ever changing
B. My beliefs are as a leader and are very goal oriented
C. My beliefs make me very loyal and constant in my thought process
A. My nature is very sensitive
B. I can be intense and demanding
C. I am usually loyal, forgiving and lovable.
A. I love hot summer days
B. My favorite season is the winter
C. I am happy in all weather conditions
If you answered mostly A, your dosha type is Vata
● Body type: Small body frames
● Personality: Imaginative, creative and quick witted
● Vata out of balance: Anxiety, worry and mood swings
● Skin: Dry
● Sleep patterns: A quiet sleep environment is best.
● Healing techniques for Vata: Meditation, tai chi and yoga
Foods to Eat:
● Warm foods, such as soups, stews and warm cereals
If you answered mostly B, your dosha type is Pitta
● Body type: Medium, proportionate, athletic
● Personality: Ambitious, intelligent leaders, good business people, confident
● Pitta out of balance: Angry, frustrated and irritable
● Skin: Slightly oily
● Sleep patterns: Little, but sound
● Healing techniques for Pitta: It is important for Pittas to balance work and play
● Helpful relaxation techniques are massage, swimming and 30 minutes of quiet time or meditation per day.
Foods to Eat:
● Due to Pitta’s fiery nature, it is best for them to favour cool or warm foods and avoid hot, spicy foods
If you answered mostly C, your dosha type is Kapha
● Body type: Larger proportions, robust frame
● Personality: Serene, calm, easygoing and very supportive and loyal in relationships
● Kapha out of balance: Tired, sluggish and withdrawn
● Skin: Tends to be oily
● Sleep patterns: Long, heavy sleepers
● Healing techniques for Kapha: Aerobic activity such as jogging, speed walking and racquet sports. Set aside 30 minutes each day for meditation and quiet time.
Foods to Eat:
Dr. Joey Shulman is a best selling author, founder of the Shulman Weight Loss clinics and creator of Dr. Joey’s Skinnychews. For more information, please visit www.drjoey.com